Thursday, January 15, 2015

Love isn't something you find, its something you make.

Love isn't something you find -It’s something you make. BYU, being the dating capital of the universe has its share of couples. How, you may ask did these couples come to be? Many people love the idea of having a beautiful story to tell, how they met their one and only true love. Others are satisfied that they met through mutual friends and it just “worked.” Thinking about finding a partner for eternity, I wonder if there is one soul out there who is just perfect for me. When conversing with older friends who are unmarried and want to be, I hear things like “just be patient, he is out there, you just haven’t found him yet” or “once you see her, you’ll know.” Thinking about these comments it makes me wonder if they really believe that here is one person out there waiting to find them? On the topic of soul mates. Is there such a destiny as a soul mate? In our culture, we believe it to be a good idea to pray to God before joining in matrimony. “Is he the one for me?” “is she the one I have been waiting for?” but I wonder if we are asking God the wrong question? Instead something along the lines of: “is he a good man? Can we find our way together?” “Is she a good match for me?” I think people get wrapped up in finding their one and only soul mate. But frankly I think there is no such thing. Love isn't something that is found or pre destined, love is something that you make. Which brings be to my topic. I believe that love is work, whether it be with your best friend, your mother, your neighbor, or your dog! But, because we are addressing BYU, I thought I would take the significant other - path, because that seems to be a hot topic! I look at people searching for love and I notice lists upon lists of criteria and qualifications! “He has to be taller than me.” “Can she cook?” “Outdoorsy, she has to be able to get her hands dirty!” “He must have facial hair.” “RM.” The list goes on and on. Knowing that whoever you marry will have things you don’t like, doesn't a question like “Does she have a good heart, and do I love her enough to work for her love?” seem like a more realistic point of view? I believe that love is work, dedication and unfailing desire to have on another! Which ties into my point that there is not a single person meant for another. I believe that anyone can fall in love with anyone, as long as they are both willing to put in the effort. Therefore I advise the BYU dating population to relax and be open minded about who they want to date. And understand that God is not going to tell them who to marry, because there is not one single person meant for you! You could be happy with a variety of different partners! It all depends on what you want out of life. Your choices are not as narrow as you believe.

No comments:

Post a Comment