Thursday, February 5, 2015

Rhetorical Analysis of "Love. It's not found, it's made"

While writing “Love. It’s not found, it’s made” I approached persuasion in three different ways. First, because I was addressing a Mormon populated audience, I decided to incorporate scriptural references and doctrinal issues. This approach corresponds with Pathos, because it appeals to their emotions. Because our religion is so immersed and concerned with emotions, I thought that would be an asset to my argument. I believe looking for an eternal companion is a sensitive matter, as well is individuals and their relationship with God. By using such an intimate example it created an avenue for correction and persuasion. I believed that some people would be moved, and others, totally offended. Which can be considered the nature of the opinion editorial - to cause controversy. However, I think that by using scripture references, and words spoken by general authorities, LDS people reading this, would be persuaded; because we are directed to heed to the words of the prophets. Although my opinion can be argued and possibly supported by other scriptural evidence, I think I used references, and points that are undeniable and widely accepted by the Mormon Church. I also, used examples to convey my opinion through movie quotes. As we all know, people watch movies to be emotionally appeased, therefore by using a movie quote, it would get the reader interested in what I was saying, and hopefully convey my message through emotion. By using a humorous quote, it also added light heartedness to my paper, and engaged the reader.  I also appealed to Logos, by reasoning with the reader, and asking thought provoking questions, that allowed them to rationalize the situation. I also, gave examples of why having a soul mate is unrealistic. My topic was mostly a pathos oriented opinion, however, there are some logos to be found in my argument, and I chose to bring those out in order to more deeply persuade my audience with reality. When approaching ethos, I was a little worried, because I don’t have any more experience with relationships than anyone out there reading this. Which is why I decided to avoid the situation completely and not tie myself into it. By remaining a humble bystander, expressing her opinion, it left the audience to analyze my point of view and take it for what it was, rather than being concerned with who it came from. Instead of questioning everything I had to say because I was just a freshman, I avoided my credibility, and strengthened it by adding suspense and mystery as to who would have such an opinion. 

1 comment:

  1. I found your topic very interesting! Good job on incorporating logos and ethos into your argument, when maybe it wasn't as easy as pathos -- good analysis on how you worked around this, and your goals for the next paper.

    ReplyDelete