Friday, February 13, 2015

American Justice and Divine Mercy Rhetorical Analysis Thesis

I really enjoyed this piece. The first time I read it, I thought it was a little dramatic, but when I went back and read it taking the stance of his “audience” I was moved by what he had to say. I think Patrick Clark does a marvelous job at persuading “his audience.” I believe that is audience would be mainly Catholic students probably in their late teens and early twenties. Because their minds are still subject to influence and persuasion, I think he does a great job of getting them to think. First, I think his opening line was brilliantly written; “here are just a couple of scattered thoughts that have come swirling into my mind…” When we spoke in class, someone said that this diminished his credibility, because he is down playing his himself. However, I think this shows just how smart he really is. It shows that he is a well-respected and intelligent man. By showing his humility and “downplaying” what he has to say right at the beginning, under the surface he is saying “here are some of my recent discoveries and revelations. If you would like to hear them, I would be delighted.” I imagine president Monson in my coming to BYU and saying “I had a revelation last night, would you like to hear it? If not, that’s okay” and every Mormon out there would say “ha-ha of COURSE we want to hear about your revelation! Are you kidding me!?” By downplaying his credibility and his importance, he shows humility which consequently strengthens his credibility. As we find in religious pieces written by prophets, popes, ministers etc. I feel like there are a lot of thought provoking questions that get the reader thinking. He does this in a sneaky way, because he states what he thinks, then asks what the reader thinks – as if they are going to disagree with him, right! If a general authority said “I think going to the movie on Sunday, is probably not the best thing to do. Rather, we should go on a picnic with our family, and enjoy Gods creations. What do you think?” he states what he thinks but turns it back on us! This is a common strategy among religious leaders, and it works! The “guilt trip” or the free agency given, even though you know what you are “supposed” to do. I think the audience would be very receptive to what Patrick Clark has to say. I think he is thought provoking and persuasive and moral, which is something that strikes hard with young religious people. 

No comments:

Post a Comment