Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Style Academy 4

This exercise was actually really helpful. I remember learning all of these things in Jr. High, but it is nice to look back at them and really understand what’s going on. Although we may understand the idea of sentence construction, I feel like it is difficult to remember all the rules while writing. I appreciated how he explained the situation, and made everything clear. I think this exercise will help improve my writing in many ways. Last time I looked at the style academy lesson pertaining to colons and semi-colons. I think understanding phrases and clauses could also help identify that. Looking at the dependent and the independent clauses, we can better decipher where to add punctuation and other things. By using these rules and tools, we can construct more effective sentences, and write more intelligently.
Phrase or Claus
For each group of words below, indicate whether the group is a phrase or a clause.
Phrase                    clause                on the front porch steps
Phrase                    clause                after the dinner party
Phrase                    clause                we ate peas and carrots

Phrase                    clause                after running to the store

No comments:

Post a Comment